AI, Ethics, and Geoethics (CS 5970)
Module 2: Coded Bias
- This assignment is long and I assume you are spreading it out over several days.
- (90 min) Watch the movie
- (30-60 min) Post-movie reading
- (60-90 min) Discussion on slack
- (5 min) Grading declarations
Watch the movie Coded Bias. OU has purchased the movie for any OU member (anyone with a valid login to OU libraries) to watch. The link is below but it will require you to sign in to watch the movie.
If you are outside of OU, I suggest you find a screening online. I watched it initially through Consumer Reports. There are other online places hosting screenings.
- Coded Bias resources and discussions
- There are two recordings of discussions with the key researcher in the film (they are long, up to you if you want to watch them or read transcripts or just explore around)
- Read through the Activist Toolkit – this contains a lot of resources including the questions that we will use to start our discussion (though you are very welcome to add more!). It includes two really interesting declarations as well. We could use those as part of our project later.
- Coded Bias movie take action part of their website
- The Algorithmic Justice League website. Explore their research projects and other parts of the website.
This discussion will happen in the #coded-bias channel
We are going to have an active discussion on slack! Make sure you follow all the classroom rules of conduct and always be respectful, even if you disagree.
If we were in a room together, the conversation would be free-flowing. I want our conversation to be in that same spirit. I have seeded the discussion with the questions from the activist toolkit above but I want you to add your own questions and thoughts to the discussion! Remember to use threading to make it easier to keep track of what is happening in the discussion.
The following are the initial questions. Please add more!
- When was the last time you were aware of an interaction with an algorithm?
- What does the AI you interact with nudge you to do?
- What data did AI use to decide what you see?
- What choices did the AI take away?
- How can AI be used in an equal and ethical manner?
- What are you willing to do to protect your privacy and autonomy?
- OU students: After you have watched the movie and done your reading, complete the canvas declaration titled “Module 2: Coded Bias movie”
- OU students: Towards the end of the week, after you have engaged in discussion back and forth with your fellow students, complete the canvas declaration titled “Module 2: Coded bias discussion”